Great Gelatin Replacement

Posted by rabbit on Aug 22, 2012 | Verified Purchase

Agar is a really great gelatin replacement. It works as a thickening agent for cold foods, but will melt again when exposed to heat. This makes it perfect for vegan cheeses, gel desserts similar to Jello, pudding, and gummy candies. It contains both calcium and iron, which helps if you are a vegan trying to incorporate these essential vitamins into your diet. Agar has become a staple in my pantry.

Great, but doesn't work with certain fruits

Posted by MentaPiperita on May 27, 2014 | Verified Purchase

I like this product very much. I use less than the recommended amount and I get very good results (3 level teaspoons for one litre of liquid gives a firm texture). However, it doesn't work with certain fruits. The first time I used it I tried to make pineapple jelly but it didn't set at all. I searched for information and read that the enzymes of certain fruits (like pineapple and kiwi) react with agar agar and prevent it from setting. Apart from that, it's an excellent substitute for gelatin, I can finally make vegetarian pudding and desserts! I will definitely buy again.

Some Info & My Opinion

Posted by autumn on Jul 07, 2010 | Verified Purchase

The manufacturer use-instructions for this item are just wrong : Shall One Add an Agar-Agar Amount Greater than 1.5 tsp. (teaspoon) to a "US Pint" (~473ml) Volume of Liquid, the outcome will usually be a Rock-Hard & Uneatable Hydrate ! (so hard that it might require a knife to handle it properly) --- Also, when boiled (while submerged in liquid), it emits an unpleasant potent algae/sea smell.

super

Posted by iHerb Customer on Feb 28, 2011 | Verified Purchase

Im making agar pudding with berrys and lemon ( + stevia) and it tastes great. it makes me really full - and hopefully slimmer in the long run since it's low calories and very filling) I use one table spoon of powder pr 1/2 liter water - wich is less than what the package describes.It makes the pudding perfect!

Very satisfied

Posted by Mjuuugly on Mar 30, 2010 | Verified Purchase

Terrific vegan alternative to gelatin, tastes nothing and I use it in gel, mousse, dessert and soup.

Agar Powder

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 27, 2007 | Verified Purchase

GREAT. I'm very happy with this product. I take it after dinner and am able to avoid eating again during the evening hours.

Retired

Posted by iHerb Customer on Mar 25, 2008 | Verified Purchase

Agar powder is a super food. I am so glad to find it here at such a reasonable price

Product works, but the bottle is half empty.

Posted by iHerb Customer on Nov 30, 2016 | Verified Purchase

I know there is some settling but it really irritates me how empty they fill these plastic jars so there is twice as much plastic in landfill it is really horrible! I love agar though, and this product works. It isn't the FINEST grind but it still works.

Agar powder

Posted by iHerb Customer on Oct 13, 2013 | Verified Purchase

This is a great substitute for vegans and those who don't like the smell or thought of gelatine!

Already ordered more!

Posted by iHerb Customer on Apr 14, 2010 | Verified Purchase

This Agar Powder is great! It's much less expensive than I've found it elsewhere and is stored in a convenient pop-top bottle. I use it for something almost every day and have already ordered two more bottles.