7 Natural Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas for 2021
Updated May 2021 Published May 2018
With Mother’s Day coming up, now is the time to start brainstorming ways to show your appreciation! Instead of a store-bought gift add a more thoughtful and sustainable touch to your gift by making it at home with natural ingredients.
Natural Body Scrub
Body scrubs exfoliate the skin, leaving it soft and refreshed. Homemade body scrubs do not contain chemicals or come in overly elaborate packaging, so they are a lot less expensive than store-bought products. Homemade scrubs can be either salt- or sugar-based and are easy to make.
3-Ingredient Brown Sugar Body Scrub
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Apply to the skin while showering and massage it in.
Easy Green Tea Body Scrub
- 1 bag of green tea leaves or 1 Tbs. of loose leaf tea
- 4 tsp. olive, sweet almond, grapeseed, or jojoba oil
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tsp. Epsom salts
- Mix the tea, baking soda, and Epsom salts together.
- Gradually add the oil and stir it in.
- Apply the scrub to the skin and massage it in with circular motions.
Simple Coffee Brown Sugar Body Scrub
The caffeine in coffee grounds can invigorate the skin and reduce bumpiness. Unfortunately, it may be a bit much for people with sensitive skin. In that case, oatmeal can be substituted for the coffee grounds. Oatmeal can also exfoliate the skin and is gentler than coffee grounds.
- 1/2 cup coffee grounds or ground oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- A few drops of a favorite essential oil
- Mix the ingredients and store the scrub in a dry place. It will keep for up to four weeks.
- Wet the skin before using and apply mixture in circular motions.
7 Homemade Natural Body Scrubs: Read More.
Natural Lotion With Coconut and Jojoba Oil
Homemade lotions can be customized for different purposes by adding or subtracting various ingredients. The following recipe uses three basic ingredients to make a water-free moisturizer. Essential oils can be added to produce the desired scent.
- 1/2 cup liquid oil like jojoba oil or almond oil
- 1/4 cup of beeswax
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- (Optional) 2 Tbs. cocoa or shea butter
- (Optional) 1 tsp. vitamin E oil
- (Optional) Natural extracts like essential oils or vanilla extract
- Put the liquid oil, beeswax, and coconut oil in a double boiler. Add the shea or cocoa butter if being used.
- The ingredients will melt as the water heats. Stir occasionally to mix them.
- After everything has melted, add the vitamin E oil and/or any scents if they are being used.
- Pour the finished product into a jar for storage. Lotion pumps won’t work well, so small Mason jars are ideal.
- For best results, use the lotion within six months. In addition to moisturizing skin, the lotion can also be used to treat eczema or diaper rash.
Easy Nighttime Body Butter: Read More.
Natural Brown Sugar Lip Scrub
Lip scrubs exfoliate and moisturize the lips. Some homemade recipes enable people to make inexpensive knockoffs of popular brands, such as this recipe for brown sugar and vanilla lip polish.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 Tbs. raw honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- (Optional) 1 capsule of vitamin E
- Mix the coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Add the vitamin E if it’s being used. Stir them all together.
- If the ingredients aren’t readily mixing, warm them in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the honey and coconut oil.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until everything is completely mixed.
- Keep the polish in a small jar.
Most people only need to use a lip polish once a day, but it can be used as often as needed.
Easy Lip Scrub Recipes: Read More.
Nourishing Homemade Facial Mask
There are many types of facial masks, and the ingredients will vary depending on their purpose. For example, avocado helps moisturize dry skin. Honey kills bacteria, so it can be used to treat acne and inflammation.
Avocado Honey Face Mask
Olive oil can help make the skin smooth and soft.
- Pulverize the avocado into a soft paste.
- Add the yogurt and honey and mix thoroughly.
- Add the olive oil if it’s being used and stir.
- Apply the mask to the face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
Simple 3-Ingredient Honey Face Mask
Like honey, cinnamon reduces inflammation. It can also absorb excess oil and reduce redness. Lemon acid helps minimize dark spots and exfoliates the skin.
- Heat the honey in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Mix it with the cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture to the face and leave it on for around 15 to 20 minutes.
Anti-Pollution Turmeric Face Mask: Read More.