Healthy Homemade Gifts for Dad
This blog has not been approved by your local health department and is not intended to provide diagnosis, treatment, or medical advice.
Skip the long shopping lines and make dad feel loved on Father’s Day by making these easy homemade gifts.
Easy Homemade Spice Blends
If dad is the grill master of the house, then he may enjoy a fantastic barbecue spice blend for Father's Day. Here are recipes that dads will love to use when barbecuing.
Natural Barbecue Dry Rub
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 2 Tbs. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 Tbs. garlic powder
- 1 Tbs. onion powder
- Pour all ingredients into a jar with an airtight lid.
- Shake until well-combined.
Or try making a special rub just for poultry. Like the dry rub, this one is easy to make. It can be used for chicken cooked on the grill or in the oven.
Easy Poultry Seasoning Blend
- 1/4 cup dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup ground sage
- 1/4 cup dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 1/4 cup celery salt
- 3 Tbs. ground black pepper
- Pour all ingredients into an airtight jar.
- Shake until well-combined.
Healthy Homemade Snacks
These homemade chips are baked instead of fried, which is a perfect alternative for dads who are conscious about their heart health. They can also be customized with favorite seasonings and spices.
Natural Beet Chips
- 3 small beets
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel the beets.
- Slice into thin slices with a sharp knife.
- Place beet slices on cookie sheets.
- Use a pastry brush to brush beets with olive oil.
- Cover beets with foil.
- Set another cookie sheet on top of beets.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove top cookie sheet. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let beet chips sit for two minutes.
- Place beet chips in a plastic bag.
Easy Apple Chips
- 2 Honeycrisp apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Slice apples thinly.
- Bring water and sugar to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Remove water and sugar from heat.
- Submerge apple slices in water.
- Placed apple slices on two cookie sheets.
- Bake apple slices for about 60 minutes until edges begin to curl.
- Let cool and place in a plastic bag.
A dash of cinnamon makes a great addition to these chips.
Homemade Natural Beef Jerky
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 4 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red hot sauce
- Using sharp scissors, trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 4-inch strips.
- Pound meat until it is an even thickness.
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Submerge meat in mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for eight hours.
- Preheat oven to lowest setting.
- Place meat in single layer on cookie sheet.
- Cook for three hours.
- Turn meat over. Cook another three hours.
- Remove from cookie sheets when cool.
- Store in plastic bag or container.
Homemade Shaving Creams
Shaving creams may be the perfect homemade Father's Day present. Using one made of coconut cream may help moisturize his skin. These presents are also incredibly easy to make.
Natural Chamomile Aftershave Cream
The oils in this natural shaving cream help moisturize the skin while the geranium essential oil may help nourish his dehydrated skin.
- Measure out coconut oil.
- Place it in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds.
- Stir oil and continue to microwave until completely melted.
- Let oil cool slightly. Place it in a clean plastic container.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Keep aftershave in the shower and wait for it to melt before using each time.
Easy Essential Oils Shaving Cream
Many fathers will love this shaving cream because the tea tree essential oil helps disinfect, soothe and clean the skin while the frankincense may help kill germs. Finally, the peppermint may help numb pain from razor burn.
- 1 cup shea nut oil
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 Tbs. baking soda
- Combine shea nut and coconut oil.
- Melt oil in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir and return to microwave until completely melted.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Add baking soda.
- Use an electric mixer to beat mixture until light and fluffy.
- Put in a plastic container with an airtight lid.
Shaving cream will need to be kept in the refrigerator until ready to be used.
Homemade Natural Aftershave
It is easy to make an aftershave for dad, and is better than using commercial aftershaves that contain chemicals that can be rough on the skin.
Natural Aftershave with Essential Oils
This recipe uses essential oils that may help kill germs and prevent ingrown hairs while having a good fragrance.
- 2 Tbs. witch hazel
- 1/2 tsp. almond oil
- 1/2 tsp. vegetable glycerin
- 1/2 tsp. evening primrose oil
- 4 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- Place oils in a flip-top bottle.
- Add essential oils.
- Shake well.
This natural mixture should be used within two months.
Natural Musky Aftershave
- 1/2 cup witch hazel
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 drop sage essential oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp. whole allspice
- 1/8 tsp. alum powder
- Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Hide the jar in a dark place for two weeks.
- Strain the mixture putting the liquid into a flip-top bottle.